Hey everyone, my name is Kenji, and this is my first post. I was too lazy to set up my own account, so I'm writing through Jackie's.
A lot has happened since I first arrived here in bombay, I arrived 2 nights ago at 10 PM. On the flight over, I had to kind of mentally prepare myself, because I hadn't been expecting to arrive in India by myself- I expected Jackie to be there with me, which she wasn't. I got all my stuff off of baggage claim and walk out the airport to find a dirt road with trash and rubble lining the side of the road. I get into a taxi which is REALLY sketchy, because there are like 30 dirty dudes waiting there in the general viscinity of their cars. So I sit in the cab fo 5 minuets in the back seat until finally the cab driver and this other dude sitting next to him start taking me to the hotel. Now my mom told me that the hotel was only 2 minutes away from the airport. After about 10 minutes in the taxi I started getting scared and asked how much longer it would be. He pulls over because he thinks I'm trying to buy cigarettes on the side of the street. He kept giving hand signals like he was smoking something, and I kept saying, "no, no." It's really scary because you are sitting in the taxi with all of your luggage and the driver doesn't speak a word of english, and your fate is resting in his hands.
He finally delivered me to the hotel, and I check in and everything was alright. The hotel was kind of expensive, but it was fairly nice. That night I went to bed at about 11, and woke up at about 3:30 a.m. with nothing to do. I started doing pushups and listening to music, and doing anything to pass the time. The next morning I woke up, ate breakfast, and attempted to go to the ATM. I stood there, trying to cross the highway for about 5 minutes, until finally I just followed some of the Indian people across. I don't know if you know, but the traffic here is crazy. I have a few pictures that I'll upload later.
After going to the ATM, this random taxi driver gives me his card, and tells me to find him if I want to go somewhere. Note that there are stray dogs and cows and dirty sheep on the side of the road, along with poor people just sitting there. As I was going back to my room, Jackie called right while I was still in the lobby, and told me I should go and explore Bombay. So I went and the taxi driver ended up being a really nice guy and showed me the sites all around Bombay. I went to a place where they handwash all of these clothes in these cement wells (kind of). I went to gateway of India, which is kind of like the Arc d'Triomphe, but right on the edge of the water, I don't know how else to describe it. I went along this promenade which they call the Queens Necklace, because at night time the street lights look like a necklace, lighting up the harbor. Yesterday evening I took it easy because I was jetlagged, and Jackie came at 2:30 in the morning, smelling like a horse's ass. She looked like she had been in a hippie festival for three weeks without showering, wearing these tie dye pajama pants. I never got back to bed after she came, so I woke her up early this morning.
After getting hustled out of 10 bucks for breakfast, we went off to find a cheaper hotel. The hotel was hard to find, because it was on the second floor of this not so clean street, with a little tiny doorway which led to the stairs. The hotel room is reasonable for the price, but when the price is $5 per person a night, that's not saying much. The shower doesn't really work, and is quite grimy, and the beds are alright...I guess.
Once we got settled in the hotel, Jackie got a phone from this little vendor on the side of the street who kept trying to force feed us coffee, which I would not have drank for 50 bucks, but which Jackie sipped and complemented. Next we went and bought some Indian clothes. They kept giving me shirts that were too small, and I felt like I was going to tear them just by putting them on. After about 4 or 5 shirts they finally gave me one the right size, and I bought a shirt and two bottoms. Next we went to lunch, passing a market place that lined the street with all of these little stands, selling sunglasses, watches, clothes, drums (which was kind of weird), and leather stuff. I bought a watch because there aren't any clocks around. We went to lunch which was nice, and went to this dirty train station place where I almost lost my lunch. We bought tickets for Delhi tomorrow. Then we went to this Muslim temple thing, which is a five minute walk out off the shore. The dirty water kept splashing us on our way there, battering us with water that was full of grime and brown murk. The temple was pretty cool, although girls had to go in a separate entrance and weren't allowed to go into the temple, because they are considered inferior. On the way back, Jackie and I had a big debate about how educated women in our society don't have as many responsibilities in our culture. After about 10 minutes she finally conceded the point.
From there we walked along the water for about 10 minutes, and made it back to this internet cafe which is about 2 minutes away from our place. We are both sweaty, grimy, and disgusting, and are about to go take showers.
Tomorrow we are going on a 19 hour train ride to Delhi, leaving at 4:40 p.m. Our plan is to wake up early, take a ferry to this place called Elephant Island which is supposed to be really cool, come back, and go on the train. Hopefully this train ride will be better than my last train ride with other Indian people (I'm referencing my Euro trip).
Hope you are all well, check in later, and please write about the happenings back home.
Saturday, June 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Kenji, I am so glad everything worked out and you finally met up with Jackie. mom
I love reading your and Jackie's latest posts.
What do you mean educated women do not have as much influence in our society? Educated woman do hold influecial jobs that ignorant women could not hold. Plus educated women raising children have a huge influence on our future society.
Jackie's Mom
I reread your comment that educated women don't have as many resposibilities. When I was working outside the home I had more responsibilities than my husband because I worked and shopped, cooked, cleaned, took care of kids and if they were sick I was the one to stay home and miss work. I arranged for all the help and he just went to work. I made all the families social arrangements and planned the kids summer with camps, tutors, and classes. By being educated, the woman can provide the resources for the kids. For instance Emily would not be able to help Max as much if it were not for her education. Then there are all the boards that educated women sit on and are able to influence society.Educated woman take the majority roll in teaching todays youth.Most of your teachers growing up were female.
I would love to hear your points. Did this discussion come about because the women were not allowed in the house of worship?
Jackie's Mom
hey kakes, that was a really good post. You should keep posting! I've heard that India is unlike any other place in the world, so I hope that you soak it all in! Sam said the thing that left the biggest impression on him was the poverty. We, as americans, think we know what poverty is, but (although ive never experienced it first hand) we really are completely clueless. I hope that you have an amazing time in Delhi, and you better keep us posted.
And Marcia, I think that you have to take their argument with a grain of salt. I understand that you had more responsibilities than most, but I feel like that is not always the case. An educated woman in India is much more rare than an educated woman in America, and as a result, they have to take on more responsibility to try to make the most of their talent and intelligence. It is hard enough for a woman in Western society to succeed while juggling family life with a career. Imagine trying to do the same thing in a society where women are viewed as inferior to men.
The gap between men and women is much greater in India than in Western society, and it is much more uncommon for an Indian woman to succeed than for an American woman. As a result, Indian women who have the tools necessary to compete with men not only represent themselves and their families, but they also represent all women trying to break the social norm and close the gap between men and women.
Anyways, I'm done, but Jackie and Kenji, I hope you have an amazing time and I will keep in touch with the both of you!
Love,
joji
Hey guys,
I'm glad you guys took a look at the blog, and that it provoked so much discussion. I don't think I worded what I was saying quite correctly when it comes to the whole educated women thing. I meant that they have more choices and opportunities, and because of this, there's not as much that is predetermined. By cultural standards, uneducated (and poor) women HAVE to take care of their family, clean and cook, and men in general pretty much HAVE to work, but if you are an educated woman (especially if you are wealthy) you can hire someone to do all of that for you and you have a lot more freedom (and thus less responsibility). I'm not saying that's good parenting, but from a necessity standpoint that's how it is. Anyway, we are having a good time here, we'll update you later!
Kenji
So its not the education but the money which allows freedom for women. If they can hire other people to do the menial tasks the women are free to do other things.
Hi Kenji , Jackie ,
I am so glad to see that you could meet up each othrer and doing well in India. I am sure it will be a great trip for both of you.
I am sure you see a lot of differences in culture , life style and the way things are set up. Immigrating from Japan 21 years ago , I had to question my own common sense and the social general assumptions all the time in the first few years, cause people in the US and Asia look at things so opposite and differently in many cases. The best way to deal with it , is just do the same as what the locals are doing , instead of trying to pursue the way you know in America. Kenji's comments about taking 5 minutes before crossing street and learned what the locals did was great.
Instead of staying at good hotels like you did in your graduation trip to Europe few years ago, you stayed at $5.00 a night kind of hotel. I would encourrage you to continue to do so. I believe you will learn a lot more , meeting with people in your generation more and have good experiences out of it.
You have mentioned that there are a lot of really poor people on the sides of streets. Also , a lot of people wash their cloths on the side of river. I believe it is the ultimate goal for the ecnomics to make the wealth go in to those poor people and improve their living / life.
Now , I am looking forward to seeing what you experience in your 19 hour train trip .
Love
Dad
Post a Comment