Thursday, June 19, 2008

Ahhh most stressful day ever yesterday. I woke up at 4:30 a.m., hopped on a supershuttle over to SFO, took a plane ALL day to Newark airport, was told that Newark was closed, was rerouted to Buffalo, stayed in Buffalo for about an hour until Newark opened up again, flew back to Newark, and hopped off the plane just in time to hear that my flight to Bombay had left without me, and with my cousin on it. Kenji and I, luckily, had a backup plan to meet at a hotel in Bombay, but we don't have any phones, and this has been the most stressful start to the trip ever.

Luckily the freshmen seem to be doing fine- Natasha forwarded me an email from Kelsey that said that all 5 of them were heading to Jaipur for a few days and then to Delhi, and that they were talking to a travel agent about a flight from Delhi to Goa. I'm so proud of them, they are doing such a great job on their own! Hopefully we'll be able to meet up in Delhi, and the timing will be right (and Kenji and I will just miss Jaipur). I also can't wait until we all get phones, I think it will make everything a LOT less stressful.

My plan is to arrive at the hotel in Bombay at 9 p.m. tomorrow night (about 24 hours from now), fall asleep, wake up super early and head into the city, where we will get a train ticket to Delhi, get phones, and maybe get a couple of outfits for Kenji. Then we will either head over to Delhi on an overnight train that night (which might not be enough time in Mumbai) or the next night, arriving in Delhi on the morning of the 23rd, which would only give us about 5 days in Delhi/the north. That's fine, and basically means that our travel in the north will be predominately in Delhi and seeing the Taj Mahal. Today, I'm going to see if I can convince the airline to get me a ticket coming back August 1 instead of July 15 because of all the hassle they put me through. It might not work, but if it does I'll be really happy.

No comments: